For anyone who has ventured out of the house with us, you know how much attention we draw, especially in the stroller. For anyone who hasn't experienced this yet, here's a good story for you.
The worst idea I've had yet, was a quick trip Friday morning to Trader Joe's, just me and the girls. I thought I'd get in and out with a short list, the stroller bottom to carry my purchases and 2 rested and fed babies. First thing after it opens we head over there in order to avoid the usual crowd. Trader Joe's was filled with older women and word spread like wildfire that there were twin babies in the produce section. Next thing I know, we were mobbed and bombarded with comments and questions until Olivia could take no more strangers staring at her. I felt terrible for the 2 older men trying patiently to pass us, but with all these women and their carts, there was just no room. We survived, but probably won't be making that trip again anytime soon. I'll stick to my usual routine of running errands at lunch or after the babies go to sleep.
In case you ever run into twins in public, I guarantee they've already heard these questions and comments and would really appreciate simple gestures like holding a door open for them instead of mobbing them with questions, opinions and stares.
-Are they twins? (I understand sometimes you honestly can't tell, but seriously, in matching clothes, matching carseats... just assume the answer is yes)
-Are they identical or fraternal? (I'm still not sure why this matters. I wonder if one kind or another is more legitimate or special to some people? Hmmm)
-A boy and a girl? (this is ALWAYS the next question after I say fraternal since I don't have the girls' ears pierced, nor do I put headbands or glue bows to their heads)
-Are they natural or fertility drugs? (yes, complete strangers feel comfortable enough to question my fertility)
-You have your hands full! (as Kevin replies, Yes both of them!)
-How do you do it? You must be super busy (is this an offer to help?)
The worst idea I've had yet, was a quick trip Friday morning to Trader Joe's, just me and the girls. I thought I'd get in and out with a short list, the stroller bottom to carry my purchases and 2 rested and fed babies. First thing after it opens we head over there in order to avoid the usual crowd. Trader Joe's was filled with older women and word spread like wildfire that there were twin babies in the produce section. Next thing I know, we were mobbed and bombarded with comments and questions until Olivia could take no more strangers staring at her. I felt terrible for the 2 older men trying patiently to pass us, but with all these women and their carts, there was just no room. We survived, but probably won't be making that trip again anytime soon. I'll stick to my usual routine of running errands at lunch or after the babies go to sleep.
In case you ever run into twins in public, I guarantee they've already heard these questions and comments and would really appreciate simple gestures like holding a door open for them instead of mobbing them with questions, opinions and stares.
-Are they twins? (I understand sometimes you honestly can't tell, but seriously, in matching clothes, matching carseats... just assume the answer is yes)
-Are they identical or fraternal? (I'm still not sure why this matters. I wonder if one kind or another is more legitimate or special to some people? Hmmm)
-A boy and a girl? (this is ALWAYS the next question after I say fraternal since I don't have the girls' ears pierced, nor do I put headbands or glue bows to their heads)
-Are they natural or fertility drugs? (yes, complete strangers feel comfortable enough to question my fertility)
-You have your hands full! (as Kevin replies, Yes both of them!)
-How do you do it? You must be super busy (is this an offer to help?)
I heard recently that there are some people who thing boy-girl twins can be identical, and other people who think all fraternal twins have to be boy-girl (that identical means same gender, I guess?)!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE your stroller! I want twins just so I can get one!
ReplyDelete