I don't know what is going on with the girls sleep patterns anymore. Last night was a mess and the past few nights before this haven't been much better. Ever since we added more solid food to their diets, the girls have been much gassier and woken up almost every night at least once with belly aches, due to gas and/or because they need to poop. Sometimes they can cry themselves back to sleep after a few minutes or even a little bit of cuddling/rocking can do the trick. More times than not though, I end up nursing them so they'll settle back to sleep. It's a vicious cycle.
Last night they ate well at dinner, played for a little while, then off to bed around the normal time with no fussing. Perfect, right? Wrong. I was alone since Kevin went to hockey game with my Dad and was enjoying my quiet night when Olivia woke up. She started with a belly ache, fell asleep after some rocking (and tooting) and when I laid her back down she screamed bloody murder until she woke up Lucy. I went through the same cycle of picking up one, getting her to sleep and laying her down, only to pick up the other screaming baby for over an hour when Kevin got home. By that time, Lucy had cried herself to sleep and Olivia was wide awake in my arms. Frustrating to say the least. After feeding Olivia again (she had already had a bottle the first time she woke up), Kevin put Olivia back to bed. Both girls were up again sometime between 12-1am to eat and then Lucy again at 5.
Overall it seems the girls do need more milk to get them through the night. When to squeeze it in is the problem. My supply is limited, they've had minimal exposure to formula with not outstanding results, and they aren't really interested in nursing except at night. When people say kids don't come with handbooks, now I see where one would be really handy right about now. If only I could flip to a page that says, "When and how much to feed your twins/Get them to once again sleep through the night". So, we'll try something new tonight, make another attempt at supplementing during the day with some formula tomorrow and hope the girls get out of this stage quickly. We could all use some more sleep.
Last night they ate well at dinner, played for a little while, then off to bed around the normal time with no fussing. Perfect, right? Wrong. I was alone since Kevin went to hockey game with my Dad and was enjoying my quiet night when Olivia woke up. She started with a belly ache, fell asleep after some rocking (and tooting) and when I laid her back down she screamed bloody murder until she woke up Lucy. I went through the same cycle of picking up one, getting her to sleep and laying her down, only to pick up the other screaming baby for over an hour when Kevin got home. By that time, Lucy had cried herself to sleep and Olivia was wide awake in my arms. Frustrating to say the least. After feeding Olivia again (she had already had a bottle the first time she woke up), Kevin put Olivia back to bed. Both girls were up again sometime between 12-1am to eat and then Lucy again at 5.
Overall it seems the girls do need more milk to get them through the night. When to squeeze it in is the problem. My supply is limited, they've had minimal exposure to formula with not outstanding results, and they aren't really interested in nursing except at night. When people say kids don't come with handbooks, now I see where one would be really handy right about now. If only I could flip to a page that says, "When and how much to feed your twins/Get them to once again sleep through the night". So, we'll try something new tonight, make another attempt at supplementing during the day with some formula tomorrow and hope the girls get out of this stage quickly. We could all use some more sleep.
Comments
Post a Comment