I can't believe how much the girls say and understand these days! We try to constantly talk to them and give them clear directions whenever we want them to do something. Just this weekend it struck me how much they completely understand us. Now, whether or not they choose to listen is another story. Though I must say, they really are good listeners when they want to be.
Here's an example. Last night, it was getting close to bedtime and I was looking at the disaster that was our living room. Toys strewn about everywhere; a typical evening site. I started picking up a few of the toys I knew they weren't going to play with anymore and just throwing everything closer to its proper place. The Fisher Price mailbox was out and all the mail pieces had been delivered to various locations around the room throughout the day. I asked the girls to go pick up the orange and blue letters and put them in the mailbox and pointed them out. I was totally amazed when the girls immediately walked away, right over to the 2 letters I asked for and brought them back to deposit in the mailbox. I can't remember ever specifically calling them letters before or even mentioning their colors, but the girls knew exactly what I meant. It amazes me how much they pick up without even much coaxing, training or teaching. Olivia will bring me the book Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See upon request and Lucy brought me a book of colors on Friday (when I finally got sick of Brown Bear Brown Bear and requested colors).We're so blessed to have such smart, cooperative little girls.
I decided this weekend I need to stop referring to them as babies. They're definitely not babies anymore. Everyday it's new words, new tricks, new food and even new teeth! Our new favorite thing is Elmo. The girls are pretty much obsessed. First thing in the morning we used to hear them jibber jabber and say mama, dada, practice body parts or animal noises but now, first thing in the morning- ELMO! And poor Olivia, she used to be so proud to say and show you her elbow and now she gets so confused when you ask about elbow and thinks Elmo is coming on tv. In fact everytime either one of them see the tv remote and think we're going to turn it on they get giddy and yell ELMO! Ay yi yi. Kevin and I already find ourselves singing songs from Sesame Street (Murray Had a Little Lamb is fantastic if you haven't heard it).
Here's an example. Last night, it was getting close to bedtime and I was looking at the disaster that was our living room. Toys strewn about everywhere; a typical evening site. I started picking up a few of the toys I knew they weren't going to play with anymore and just throwing everything closer to its proper place. The Fisher Price mailbox was out and all the mail pieces had been delivered to various locations around the room throughout the day. I asked the girls to go pick up the orange and blue letters and put them in the mailbox and pointed them out. I was totally amazed when the girls immediately walked away, right over to the 2 letters I asked for and brought them back to deposit in the mailbox. I can't remember ever specifically calling them letters before or even mentioning their colors, but the girls knew exactly what I meant. It amazes me how much they pick up without even much coaxing, training or teaching. Olivia will bring me the book Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See upon request and Lucy brought me a book of colors on Friday (when I finally got sick of Brown Bear Brown Bear and requested colors).We're so blessed to have such smart, cooperative little girls.
I decided this weekend I need to stop referring to them as babies. They're definitely not babies anymore. Everyday it's new words, new tricks, new food and even new teeth! Our new favorite thing is Elmo. The girls are pretty much obsessed. First thing in the morning we used to hear them jibber jabber and say mama, dada, practice body parts or animal noises but now, first thing in the morning- ELMO! And poor Olivia, she used to be so proud to say and show you her elbow and now she gets so confused when you ask about elbow and thinks Elmo is coming on tv. In fact everytime either one of them see the tv remote and think we're going to turn it on they get giddy and yell ELMO! Ay yi yi. Kevin and I already find ourselves singing songs from Sesame Street (Murray Had a Little Lamb is fantastic if you haven't heard it).
Such cute little girls...sounds like you're having such fun with them. I've been thinking I need to stop calling Gracie my baby, it's hard to let that phase go. :)
ReplyDelete