Since we started this blog after the girls were born, we thought it would be fun to put up what we remember about finding out about the pregnancy, the 9 month journey and birth of the girls. Perhaps we'll try and make sense of the few things we remember of the first 3 months of their lives also. So, here's installment #1.
.
.
I knew I was pregnant before I even had a positive pregnancy test. I felt different, was hungrier than usual and had a few waves of nausea for about a week. By the time a blood test confirmed what I already knew, I was waking up starving in the middle of the night regularly. Not knowing any better I figured this was a natural part of early pregnancy. Luckily, I never threw up and the nausea soon subsided.
.My new OB would not take patients until they were at least 8 weeks along. So we waited, I ate and we nervously read everything we could get our hands on about pregnancy and parenting. When we finally got into see the OB we were giddily joking around about anything and everything as we anxiously waited for the Dr. We were hoping to get an ultrasound to get the first look at our baby. The nurse started asking questions about health history, family history etc. and asked if twins run in my family. I said no without hesitation thinking this is a ridiculous question. Kevin spoke right up and said yes, there are twins on his side. The nurse was quick to jump in and say that fraternal twins run on the mom's side so his history has no bearing on this. And that was that, end of story on twins...we thought.
.
When the Dr. finally came in he quickly said hello and shook my hand before asking me to lay back so he could take a quick scan of my belly. He asked no questions, barely made eye contact with me so I was so caught off guard by what all was happening that I barely had time to think. Almost instantly upon starting the ultrasound he said "Uh, well looks like there's 2 in there!" I looked up and tried to make out what he was looking at let alone talking about, and just remember saying no, you're kidding, no way. Kevin just kept looking at the screen with a big grin on his face but I don't really remember him saying much, if anything. I repeated my disbelief so many times the Dr. finally pointed out the 2 sacs he saw on the ultrasound in order to get me to believe him. He seemed a bit annoyed that I would not believe him (see below to see what was going through my head). Then he proceeded to say, "Let's look around and see if we see any more". I thought I was going to pass out and said a quick prayer that 2 was all he saw. 2 was a lot to take in but the fact that the thought crossed his mind that there could be more terrified me! He did only find the 2 sacs and we chatted a little bit about what to expect and then he referred me to a high-risk Dr for monitoring as well.
.The rest of the visit is a blur, I barely remember checking out, walking to the car or what if anything we said in the elevator or car ride home. My initial thought in the exam room was that the Dr. was joking and this little you're-having-twins joke was his way of introducing himself to his new patients. I just thought oh yeah, he comes in all business-like and then plays this joke with a fake ultrasound, you all laugh and then you all go on your way. He wasn't joking, I figured that out quickly. Luckily, his unfriendly and business-like demeanor from the first visit definitely changed. He was usually a bit rushed and running late, but as the pregnancy progressed he became much warmer, friendlier and spent a good amount of time talking to us about what was going on and what the plan was. So that's how we found out we were having 2!
.
Here is the ultrasound picture we got at the high-risk Dr when I was either 7 or 9 weeks pregnant (can't remember if they changed my due date before or after this).

I remember Kevin calling me to tell me it was twins. Hahaha. I remember thinking it over and I didn't say anything. I came back to reality when Kevin started saying, "Are you still there? Hello?" Hahaha.
ReplyDelete