We've heard plenty throughout my pregnancy and the girls infancy about twin talk. The girls have done it here and there before and we've laughed as they've babbled away to each other. Lately though, it's gotten downright bizarre. They have full on conversations with each other! Someone will start babbling and the other will acknowledge and they go back and forth sometimes up to a minute. They even use gestures, make eye contact and seem to come to some sort of understanding most of the time. Sometimes I think they're like 2 little old ladies just chatting away.
Here's an example. This afternoon they were sitting together playing with magnetic alphabet letters on the floor. They were both playing quietly. All of a sudden Olivia started talking to Lucy. Lucy stopped playing, looked up said something, they both pointed toward the kitchen and they said a few more things to each other. They went back and forth for a good minute plotting away. They took turns talking, looked up at each other and gestured in the same direction. Clearly they understood each other. Then after playing for a few seconds more, they simultaneously got up, ran to the hallway for their push toy cart and car and proceeded to push them around the kitchen on their knees. No joke. They discussed going to push their toys on their knees. I was shocked.
They do weird things like that all the time now! Sometimes I think they even ask the other one to bring them things. I've seen them babble away and then one of them will go get 2 books or 2 cups and bring one for her sister. It's very cute and totally warms my heart to see how close they are but at the same time it makes me wonder what they're scheming about. It's when they talk and then both take off somewhere and are quiet that I really wonder what they're up to. Since we're pretty well caught up on the toddler-proofing, I know if they are quiet and in their room they are a) playing in their curtains or b) have noticed we forgot to tie their dresser drawers shut and are pulling out all their pajamas. If they are quiet in the kitchen they are a) playing in the tupperware cabinet I once again forgot to latch shut or b) pulling all my kitchen towels and rags out of the drawer and dusting. Luckily I'm ok with all of these activities, though they all include some type of clean-up later on. What doesn't these days though?
So for now, we continue to try to figure out what they're saying. We're not too worried about their language skills since they say and understand plenty in English. The twin talk is just a crazy phase that leaves us constantly puzzled. I'm desperately trying to get this on video. When and if I do, I will add it.
Here's an example. This afternoon they were sitting together playing with magnetic alphabet letters on the floor. They were both playing quietly. All of a sudden Olivia started talking to Lucy. Lucy stopped playing, looked up said something, they both pointed toward the kitchen and they said a few more things to each other. They went back and forth for a good minute plotting away. They took turns talking, looked up at each other and gestured in the same direction. Clearly they understood each other. Then after playing for a few seconds more, they simultaneously got up, ran to the hallway for their push toy cart and car and proceeded to push them around the kitchen on their knees. No joke. They discussed going to push their toys on their knees. I was shocked.
They do weird things like that all the time now! Sometimes I think they even ask the other one to bring them things. I've seen them babble away and then one of them will go get 2 books or 2 cups and bring one for her sister. It's very cute and totally warms my heart to see how close they are but at the same time it makes me wonder what they're scheming about. It's when they talk and then both take off somewhere and are quiet that I really wonder what they're up to. Since we're pretty well caught up on the toddler-proofing, I know if they are quiet and in their room they are a) playing in their curtains or b) have noticed we forgot to tie their dresser drawers shut and are pulling out all their pajamas. If they are quiet in the kitchen they are a) playing in the tupperware cabinet I once again forgot to latch shut or b) pulling all my kitchen towels and rags out of the drawer and dusting. Luckily I'm ok with all of these activities, though they all include some type of clean-up later on. What doesn't these days though?
So for now, we continue to try to figure out what they're saying. We're not too worried about their language skills since they say and understand plenty in English. The twin talk is just a crazy phase that leaves us constantly puzzled. I'm desperately trying to get this on video. When and if I do, I will add it.
Comments
Post a Comment