Some form of this is probably one of the most frequent comments/questions we get about twins. Answer: it's the only thing we know.
We didn't have a singleton (Kevin loves when I use that term) before the girls and we haven't had any since, so having 2 little ones to chase after is all we know. We hardly know what to do with ourselves when just one of them wakes up early from a nap and we have to entertain her until sister gets up (or else she will go wake sister up her self).
So I figured maybe a little back tracking of how we manage(d) with 2 babies and now toddlers, may be good, at least for our memories.
At the beginning we had LOTS OF HELP. I'm fairly certain I've already documented all that somewhere on here so I won't go into details. I can't stress enough how much having help really does allow the mom to re cooperate, especially after a c-section and while nursing.
Speaking of nursing I mostly nursed them one at a time, but occasionally for their sanity and my own, I would tandem nurse. I was blessed with PLENTY of milk so I never had any problems nursing or pumping. It was taxing on my mind and body to nurse some days nearly all the time, but it was worth it for both me and the girls. They've been amazingly healthy (knock on wood since our co-pay's are outrageous).
They've always been easily entertained so we just made sure to give them lots of time with their toys, activities and plenty of books, songs and talking. They are really great talkers today and know so many words and sentences (3 words max). It's amazing when they put things together.
Getting out of the house was also a challenge but something that definitely needed to happen. Our double stroller allowed us to snap in our infant car seats and then convert it to regular seats as the girls got bigger. We have both tandem and side-by-side strollers and adjust as the occasion seems fit. We love both of them equally. Everything is a little more time consuming than with 1, I would imagine. The time it takes to get 2 babies in and out of the car and in and out of strollers adds up to some people's quick run to the grocery store. We've gotten pretty good at it though and if that's what has to be done to break free of the house for a little while, we're willing to do it.
The girls are pretty decent eaters. They go through phases where they get tired of seeing the same foods and reject them, but pick up again in a few days. Though I dread making multiple meals 2-3x a day, I know I'm lucky I don't have to make 4+ meals were the girls not pretty similar in their tastes. The girls aren't quite into eating what Kevin and I eat yet (though we consistently try), they eat more vegetables than any children I know. We'll get to where they eat with us, but for now at least having the 2 of them eat the same thing, is appreciated.
Schedule, schedule, schedule. I cannot stress that enough. It's been my sanity. Yes, it's flexible, adaptable and has had it's tweaks and fixes here and there, but overall, having the girls on the exact same schedule has allowed things to go so smoothly. They know what to expect everyday and so do we. No matter who is watching them, where they are or what the activities for the day are, they have consistency and it definitely makes them happier.
Now that they're older, they are truly best friends. They play together and we notice them copying each other all day long. We wouldn't have it any other way with our little girls. We couldn't imagine life without one or the other of them and are so happy we were blessed with twins.
Long story short, we just do it. We don't know anything different. I'm fairly certain anyone who has twins can manage and adapt in their own way no matter what their circumstances are. It's a lot of work, yes, but it's do-able and definitely gets easier after the first 6 months (as I'm sure it does with any child).
We didn't have a singleton (Kevin loves when I use that term) before the girls and we haven't had any since, so having 2 little ones to chase after is all we know. We hardly know what to do with ourselves when just one of them wakes up early from a nap and we have to entertain her until sister gets up (or else she will go wake sister up her self).
So I figured maybe a little back tracking of how we manage(d) with 2 babies and now toddlers, may be good, at least for our memories.
At the beginning we had LOTS OF HELP. I'm fairly certain I've already documented all that somewhere on here so I won't go into details. I can't stress enough how much having help really does allow the mom to re cooperate, especially after a c-section and while nursing.
Speaking of nursing I mostly nursed them one at a time, but occasionally for their sanity and my own, I would tandem nurse. I was blessed with PLENTY of milk so I never had any problems nursing or pumping. It was taxing on my mind and body to nurse some days nearly all the time, but it was worth it for both me and the girls. They've been amazingly healthy (knock on wood since our co-pay's are outrageous).
They've always been easily entertained so we just made sure to give them lots of time with their toys, activities and plenty of books, songs and talking. They are really great talkers today and know so many words and sentences (3 words max). It's amazing when they put things together.
Getting out of the house was also a challenge but something that definitely needed to happen. Our double stroller allowed us to snap in our infant car seats and then convert it to regular seats as the girls got bigger. We have both tandem and side-by-side strollers and adjust as the occasion seems fit. We love both of them equally. Everything is a little more time consuming than with 1, I would imagine. The time it takes to get 2 babies in and out of the car and in and out of strollers adds up to some people's quick run to the grocery store. We've gotten pretty good at it though and if that's what has to be done to break free of the house for a little while, we're willing to do it.
The girls are pretty decent eaters. They go through phases where they get tired of seeing the same foods and reject them, but pick up again in a few days. Though I dread making multiple meals 2-3x a day, I know I'm lucky I don't have to make 4+ meals were the girls not pretty similar in their tastes. The girls aren't quite into eating what Kevin and I eat yet (though we consistently try), they eat more vegetables than any children I know. We'll get to where they eat with us, but for now at least having the 2 of them eat the same thing, is appreciated.
Schedule, schedule, schedule. I cannot stress that enough. It's been my sanity. Yes, it's flexible, adaptable and has had it's tweaks and fixes here and there, but overall, having the girls on the exact same schedule has allowed things to go so smoothly. They know what to expect everyday and so do we. No matter who is watching them, where they are or what the activities for the day are, they have consistency and it definitely makes them happier.
Now that they're older, they are truly best friends. They play together and we notice them copying each other all day long. We wouldn't have it any other way with our little girls. We couldn't imagine life without one or the other of them and are so happy we were blessed with twins.
Long story short, we just do it. We don't know anything different. I'm fairly certain anyone who has twins can manage and adapt in their own way no matter what their circumstances are. It's a lot of work, yes, but it's do-able and definitely gets easier after the first 6 months (as I'm sure it does with any child).
Comments
Post a Comment