Kevin has school Monday and Wednesday nights which means these nights are girls nights. Some nights are rough and some nights are great. It depends on a number of factors- their moods, my mood, how hungry we all are, how tired we are all, which way the wind is blowing...
Even on the hardest evenings I can count on one great time- bedtime. I don't even mean the time when I lay the girls down and come out to my quiet living room. On Mondays and Wednesdays I look forward to doing our bedtime routine all alone with the girls. As bedtime nears, we clean up the toys, put milk cups away and head to the girls' room. There is no whining or fussing and never a tantrum. They love bedtime and are always ready for it. As soon as we enter their dark room the girls go straight to the rocking chair and wait for me to sit down so they can climb into my lap. Olivia's always nuzzles up on my left shoulder and Lucy always on my right. They immediately snuggle in with their heads facing out as I begin our nightly prayers. They join in on a word or phrase here or there and I can usually feel Olivia mouthing along to some of the prayers. I can't hardly wait for the day when they recite bedtime prayers along with me.
In the darkness of their room, I get to rock my "babies" once more. With 2 toddlers, I hardly get the chance to cuddle my girls anymore. Even when I am finished saying prayers, I always sit and hold my girls and rock in the silence for a few minutes more before I finally lay the girls down in their beds. The flood of memories I get rocking in the silence and dark in that room is so special. I cherish these times with my girls because I know it won't be like this for long. Plus, I know how hard it is on Kevin to miss these moments while he is finishing up his education. I don't want to take it for granted.
Even on the hardest evenings I can count on one great time- bedtime. I don't even mean the time when I lay the girls down and come out to my quiet living room. On Mondays and Wednesdays I look forward to doing our bedtime routine all alone with the girls. As bedtime nears, we clean up the toys, put milk cups away and head to the girls' room. There is no whining or fussing and never a tantrum. They love bedtime and are always ready for it. As soon as we enter their dark room the girls go straight to the rocking chair and wait for me to sit down so they can climb into my lap. Olivia's always nuzzles up on my left shoulder and Lucy always on my right. They immediately snuggle in with their heads facing out as I begin our nightly prayers. They join in on a word or phrase here or there and I can usually feel Olivia mouthing along to some of the prayers. I can't hardly wait for the day when they recite bedtime prayers along with me.
In the darkness of their room, I get to rock my "babies" once more. With 2 toddlers, I hardly get the chance to cuddle my girls anymore. Even when I am finished saying prayers, I always sit and hold my girls and rock in the silence for a few minutes more before I finally lay the girls down in their beds. The flood of memories I get rocking in the silence and dark in that room is so special. I cherish these times with my girls because I know it won't be like this for long. Plus, I know how hard it is on Kevin to miss these moments while he is finishing up his education. I don't want to take it for granted.
I totally got teary eyed. Love this! Bedtime is my fave time of the day, too.
ReplyDelete