Done and done. We just put the girls down to bed and I am exhausted, relieved and mostly proud.
I'll start with a night 1 recap. The girls were as exhausted by the end of yesterday as I was. I didn't realize how tiring all that constant monitoring, running back and forth to the bathroom and cleaning was going to be. The girls went right to sleep as usual. When I went to check on them before I was going to bed around 10, Lucy was soaking wet and laying curled up around a puddle, sound asleep. Olivia was still completely dry. I woke up Lucy and took her to the bathroom, cleaned her up and put on new panties while Kevin changed her bed. Luckily she was so out of it she went right back to sleep. Olivia woke up crying sometime in the middle of the night with an accident of her own. It was the largest amount of pee Kevin or I had even seen in our life! With did the same routine with her and she went right back to sleep. This time, Lucy was still dry. Lucy then woke up promptly at 6am in another puddle of her own. I took her to the potty, cleaned her up and took her back to bed with me for half an hour before sister was up, and still dry. The biggest problem was me. I couldn't turn my brain off overnight. I had dreams all night that one of the girls had to go potty over and over again. I would jump up in bed or grab Kevin and we both felt pretty out of it first thing this morning. So overall I give it moderate success. I say success in that the girls went right back to sleep. They had 1/2 a cup of milk with dinner so I was expecting accidents. I think tonight we will try waking them both up to potty an hour or 2 after they go to bed and see if that helps. Plus they haven't had any milk today since 3:30.
Today was a great day. Yes, there were still plenty of accidents. I'd say 90% of the time though they had already expressed the need to go potty. Lucy starts doing this whine with a scared look on her face and then says "potty" and takes off running. She usually gives plenty of warning and makes it to the potty 9 times out of 10. Olivia will either start walking or running out of the room with her legs slightly spread apart and then about half way there say "hurry hurry" or "it's ok" if she's having an accident on the way. Both girls knows even if they've had an accident, to go to the potty and sit down to finish or wait to be cleaned up. That's huge. Then I don't have them standing in the middle of the living room watching the pee run down their legs. I'd much rather they dribbled a little and finished on the linoleum (preferably the potty) where it's so much easier to clean up.
They both successfully pooped on the potty today too! Lucy put it off for at least an hour (with plenty of false alarms) but after a bit of trepidation went for it. After some initial concern she was so excited and shortly thereafter, in true twin fashion, Olivia joined the pooping party (yes, in case you haven't heard it before, twins do for the most part, pee and poop around the same time since birth). They're totally going to hate me for sharing these stories when they're older, huh? Can I help it that I'm a proud Mama?!?
So I'm calling this a success. We've mastered peeing and pooping in the potty and even though there are accidents, the girls know what that feeling is and what they should do about it. Naps were great too- down dry and woke dry. We'll see how night number 2 goes!
I'll start with a night 1 recap. The girls were as exhausted by the end of yesterday as I was. I didn't realize how tiring all that constant monitoring, running back and forth to the bathroom and cleaning was going to be. The girls went right to sleep as usual. When I went to check on them before I was going to bed around 10, Lucy was soaking wet and laying curled up around a puddle, sound asleep. Olivia was still completely dry. I woke up Lucy and took her to the bathroom, cleaned her up and put on new panties while Kevin changed her bed. Luckily she was so out of it she went right back to sleep. Olivia woke up crying sometime in the middle of the night with an accident of her own. It was the largest amount of pee Kevin or I had even seen in our life! With did the same routine with her and she went right back to sleep. This time, Lucy was still dry. Lucy then woke up promptly at 6am in another puddle of her own. I took her to the potty, cleaned her up and took her back to bed with me for half an hour before sister was up, and still dry. The biggest problem was me. I couldn't turn my brain off overnight. I had dreams all night that one of the girls had to go potty over and over again. I would jump up in bed or grab Kevin and we both felt pretty out of it first thing this morning. So overall I give it moderate success. I say success in that the girls went right back to sleep. They had 1/2 a cup of milk with dinner so I was expecting accidents. I think tonight we will try waking them both up to potty an hour or 2 after they go to bed and see if that helps. Plus they haven't had any milk today since 3:30.
Today was a great day. Yes, there were still plenty of accidents. I'd say 90% of the time though they had already expressed the need to go potty. Lucy starts doing this whine with a scared look on her face and then says "potty" and takes off running. She usually gives plenty of warning and makes it to the potty 9 times out of 10. Olivia will either start walking or running out of the room with her legs slightly spread apart and then about half way there say "hurry hurry" or "it's ok" if she's having an accident on the way. Both girls knows even if they've had an accident, to go to the potty and sit down to finish or wait to be cleaned up. That's huge. Then I don't have them standing in the middle of the living room watching the pee run down their legs. I'd much rather they dribbled a little and finished on the linoleum (preferably the potty) where it's so much easier to clean up.
They both successfully pooped on the potty today too! Lucy put it off for at least an hour (with plenty of false alarms) but after a bit of trepidation went for it. After some initial concern she was so excited and shortly thereafter, in true twin fashion, Olivia joined the pooping party (yes, in case you haven't heard it before, twins do for the most part, pee and poop around the same time since birth). They're totally going to hate me for sharing these stories when they're older, huh? Can I help it that I'm a proud Mama?!?
So I'm calling this a success. We've mastered peeing and pooping in the potty and even though there are accidents, the girls know what that feeling is and what they should do about it. Naps were great too- down dry and woke dry. We'll see how night number 2 goes!
Comments
Post a Comment