I know we've been MIA lately. We're all in various stages of a nasty cold. The girls got it first early last week with just fevers and a runny nose here and there. It quickly passed for them without much hassle. Then I got it over the weekend and now Kevin has it. I guess if anyone of us had to get it bad, I'm glad it was Kevin and I who took the brunt of it. 2 sick and miserable little ones is not fun. We'll survive though and hopefully be all better by the time the suns decides to return so we can go back outside.
Other than that we're in for some changes around here. This quarter is almost over for Kevin which means his schedule and classes will change. We can finally see the finish line for him and we're so excited. He's pushing hard toward the end and it looks more and more like he may actually be home most nights and weekends! Since I've known him, he's always worked Saturdays. I am so excited that we may actually have normal family weekends soon! But, with these changes in his schedule and work, it looks like I am going to have to go back to work completely full time. No more Fridays off pretty soon. It will be so worth it in the rest of my salary that I pick back up, but I absolutely love my Fridays with the girls. I know we'll adjust and they will be fine. I realize how lucky I was to have had 2 years of extra time off with them in the first place.
What's new with the girls? They've mastered their colors and are working on shapes. When we drove home from dinner last night Olivia was yelling "octagon" in the backseat for a long time. I'm not sure where she saw an octagon but she was very proud of herself nonetheless. They are also getting very good at coloring. Lucy hold her crayons perfectly and is very focused on trying to color in small areas like she sees us doing. Olivia is a bit more haphazard about it still but she likes to pick out one part of the picture and scribble away on it until it's basically completely covered. We've moved on from the Toy Story movies as well (thank you Auntie Sarah for expanding their horizons). Their new favorite is The Little Mermaid followed by Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio.
I signed the girls up for Tiny Tot Ballet starting in July and I'm so excited for them! They absolutely love to dance and were practicing their ballerina moves just tonight. I hope they like it! I'll be sure to put up pictures of them in their little outfits once we get them.
We were getting in a bit of a rutt with the girls' food there for awhile. They were constantly eating a rotation of chicken nuggets, spaghetti o's, pb & j sandwiches, bananas, yogurt, green beans, peas and carrots (with a few other things mixed in here and there). We've made some progress in the past few days with blueberries, ground turkey and cottage cheese. Olivia is the only one who likes the blueberries and most other fruit. Lucy is hit or miss. I've found that letting them help me cook or prepare foods really gets them more interested and inclined to try new things. Tonight I was making lasagna and decided to put it down low so they could help me assemble everything. I used cottage cheese instead of ricotta and once the girls helped me finish spreading it on I offered to let them try a bite. It was a hit! We had tried cottage cheese before to no avail. Then when I was almost finished and went to get some more cheese to sprinkle on top I turned around to find Lucy picking off the pieces of ground turkey (cooked) and eating them! My girls are super picky when it comes to meat so this was a pleasant surprise! I was so excited about it I let her eat nearly all the meat off that layer of lasagna. Definitely a huge relief to see that they can try and like new things!!
Other than that we're in for some changes around here. This quarter is almost over for Kevin which means his schedule and classes will change. We can finally see the finish line for him and we're so excited. He's pushing hard toward the end and it looks more and more like he may actually be home most nights and weekends! Since I've known him, he's always worked Saturdays. I am so excited that we may actually have normal family weekends soon! But, with these changes in his schedule and work, it looks like I am going to have to go back to work completely full time. No more Fridays off pretty soon. It will be so worth it in the rest of my salary that I pick back up, but I absolutely love my Fridays with the girls. I know we'll adjust and they will be fine. I realize how lucky I was to have had 2 years of extra time off with them in the first place.
What's new with the girls? They've mastered their colors and are working on shapes. When we drove home from dinner last night Olivia was yelling "octagon" in the backseat for a long time. I'm not sure where she saw an octagon but she was very proud of herself nonetheless. They are also getting very good at coloring. Lucy hold her crayons perfectly and is very focused on trying to color in small areas like she sees us doing. Olivia is a bit more haphazard about it still but she likes to pick out one part of the picture and scribble away on it until it's basically completely covered. We've moved on from the Toy Story movies as well (thank you Auntie Sarah for expanding their horizons). Their new favorite is The Little Mermaid followed by Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio.
I signed the girls up for Tiny Tot Ballet starting in July and I'm so excited for them! They absolutely love to dance and were practicing their ballerina moves just tonight. I hope they like it! I'll be sure to put up pictures of them in their little outfits once we get them.
We were getting in a bit of a rutt with the girls' food there for awhile. They were constantly eating a rotation of chicken nuggets, spaghetti o's, pb & j sandwiches, bananas, yogurt, green beans, peas and carrots (with a few other things mixed in here and there). We've made some progress in the past few days with blueberries, ground turkey and cottage cheese. Olivia is the only one who likes the blueberries and most other fruit. Lucy is hit or miss. I've found that letting them help me cook or prepare foods really gets them more interested and inclined to try new things. Tonight I was making lasagna and decided to put it down low so they could help me assemble everything. I used cottage cheese instead of ricotta and once the girls helped me finish spreading it on I offered to let them try a bite. It was a hit! We had tried cottage cheese before to no avail. Then when I was almost finished and went to get some more cheese to sprinkle on top I turned around to find Lucy picking off the pieces of ground turkey (cooked) and eating them! My girls are super picky when it comes to meat so this was a pleasant surprise! I was so excited about it I let her eat nearly all the meat off that layer of lasagna. Definitely a huge relief to see that they can try and like new things!!
Comments
Post a Comment