I was home alone with the girls Sunday morning preparing lunch while the girls played. They can pretty much entertain each other and themselves most of the time, which is nice since it allows us to get stuff done sometimes. Something about what they were saying and doing caught my attention and I ended up standing in the kitchen watching what they were doing.
Olivia kept saying "Let's start the show!" and "Here comes Ellie!" and Lucy was standing on the carefully arranged couch cushions like she knew what Olivia was talking about. After a few more announcements from Olivia, Lucy said "Oh no, down, down, down" and proceeded to jump off the couch onto a cushion of pillows she had set up. While Lucy jumped, Olivia yelled "oh no! look out Ellie" and then ta-dahhed and said "Good night". It was at that point that I realized what they were doing. The girls were re-enacting their book Big and Little where big Ellie the elephant is a circus performer who climbs the ladder to the top and then jumps off trying to land in a little glass of water. It's a cute little easy book that we have read multiple times, but not every day or even on a regular basis. They were using phrases straight from the book in their re-enactment!
What got me more than anything was how they came to a consensus on the fact that 1) they would be re-enacting this book and 2) that Lucy would be Ellie and Olivia would be the circus master (or whatever their proper title is). I didn't overhear them plan this out nor did they even have the book off the shelf. I was baffled how they came up with and executed this plan so well! They really do kind of freak me out sometimes...and I mean that in the nicest, most motherly way possible.
Olivia kept saying "Let's start the show!" and "Here comes Ellie!" and Lucy was standing on the carefully arranged couch cushions like she knew what Olivia was talking about. After a few more announcements from Olivia, Lucy said "Oh no, down, down, down" and proceeded to jump off the couch onto a cushion of pillows she had set up. While Lucy jumped, Olivia yelled "oh no! look out Ellie" and then ta-dahhed and said "Good night". It was at that point that I realized what they were doing. The girls were re-enacting their book Big and Little where big Ellie the elephant is a circus performer who climbs the ladder to the top and then jumps off trying to land in a little glass of water. It's a cute little easy book that we have read multiple times, but not every day or even on a regular basis. They were using phrases straight from the book in their re-enactment!
What got me more than anything was how they came to a consensus on the fact that 1) they would be re-enacting this book and 2) that Lucy would be Ellie and Olivia would be the circus master (or whatever their proper title is). I didn't overhear them plan this out nor did they even have the book off the shelf. I was baffled how they came up with and executed this plan so well! They really do kind of freak me out sometimes...and I mean that in the nicest, most motherly way possible.
Sarah, it's because they are incredibly smart. Like, hello. ;)
ReplyDelete