I know this is going to sound obvious but I'm going to say it anyway. 1 newborn is soooo much easier than 2! The reason this is so surprising to me is that even though we only have 1 newborn, we still have 2 preschoolers to keep up with so it's not like we only have 1 kid. Overall though, adding Andrew into our family has been relatively easy. There are definitely differences between Andrew and the girls though.
- Andrew is a belly sleeper much to our dismay. I blame the NICU, since they let him sleep that way and now we have to try to switch him to back sleeping.
- We get so much more sleep! It used to take me up to 90 minutes at a time to feed both girls which only left a short amount of time to sleep before starting the next round of feeding.
- Andrew is a great sleeper. He has already gone 4, 5 and 6 hours in between night feedings while the girls were quite fussy and never missed their 2.5 or 3 hour feeding window at this age.
- Paci- Andrew will use one if offered but doesn't require it like the girls did. In fact sometimes he is outright offended by it, whichever is fine with us since we don't like to do pacis any longer than necessary.
- My recovery: I think this time I was moving around better and quicker than last time, but both times I felt pretty much recovered after a week. The initial pain in the hospital was worse this 2nd time but I attribute that mostly to not having the baby there to provide a distraction like I did having the girls with me the entire time.
- Time: it feels like there's so much time to spend with the baby without feeling guilty that we are neglecting someone else who is in a crib, on a play mat or waiting to eat. The girls were definitely a 2 person job.
- Less everything: thank goodness the twins were first so we didn't have a chance to realize how it is with a singleton. We use so many less diapers and wipes, wash half the laundry and need far less of everything that we even realized for 1 baby. It would be quite a shock to have already done the singleton thing and then try twins.
- Comfort: overall, we feel so much more comfortable knowing what Andrew needs, letting him cry, getting him to sleep etc. since we've been through it before. We're not as worried about things like is he too hot, too cold, tired, hungry or sick like we were before. I think the girls trained us well.
- Andrew is a belly sleeper much to our dismay. I blame the NICU, since they let him sleep that way and now we have to try to switch him to back sleeping.
- We get so much more sleep! It used to take me up to 90 minutes at a time to feed both girls which only left a short amount of time to sleep before starting the next round of feeding.
- Andrew is a great sleeper. He has already gone 4, 5 and 6 hours in between night feedings while the girls were quite fussy and never missed their 2.5 or 3 hour feeding window at this age.
- Paci- Andrew will use one if offered but doesn't require it like the girls did. In fact sometimes he is outright offended by it, whichever is fine with us since we don't like to do pacis any longer than necessary.
- My recovery: I think this time I was moving around better and quicker than last time, but both times I felt pretty much recovered after a week. The initial pain in the hospital was worse this 2nd time but I attribute that mostly to not having the baby there to provide a distraction like I did having the girls with me the entire time.
- Time: it feels like there's so much time to spend with the baby without feeling guilty that we are neglecting someone else who is in a crib, on a play mat or waiting to eat. The girls were definitely a 2 person job.
- Less everything: thank goodness the twins were first so we didn't have a chance to realize how it is with a singleton. We use so many less diapers and wipes, wash half the laundry and need far less of everything that we even realized for 1 baby. It would be quite a shock to have already done the singleton thing and then try twins.
- Comfort: overall, we feel so much more comfortable knowing what Andrew needs, letting him cry, getting him to sleep etc. since we've been through it before. We're not as worried about things like is he too hot, too cold, tired, hungry or sick like we were before. I think the girls trained us well.
Comments
Post a Comment