In a little less than a month the girls will start Kindergarten. It's crazy to think they're already old enough to go to school full-time, but the time has come. It's been quite the process to figure out where they will go to school but everything finally got straightened out. I applied for the public school's Dual Language Immersion program in March. There was so much interest in the program and only 3 schools that offered it at the time, so it went to a lottery for a limited number of spots. Unfortunately, the girls didn't get called in the lottery and were on the wait list. We were bummed but knew wherever they ended up would be fine. I transferred them from the school by our house over to the school by my parents to make things more convenient for pick-up and drop-off. I thought it was all settled. Then the school district called me and said they were opening up a 4th school with the DLI program and they had 2 spots if I would like them! So, we took the spots and the girls will start at the end of August in that program. I'm excited for them and nervous at the same time. Kindergarten is 90% Spanish. I hope they don't get too frustrated and catch on quickly. By third grade they should be reading completely in Spanish and will then switch to English (of course they will be reading and speaking English at home the whole time so it shouldn't be too big of a switch for them). The program gets rave reviews and the test scores of the kids already in it are amazing. We'll see how the year goes! Kevin's already expecting the girls to have full on conversations in Spanish which neither of us can understand. It's going to be interesting!
Comments
Post a Comment