Monday was the first day of school for the year. The girls were excited and all ready to go bright and early. I took the day off work so I could take them and pick them up.
When I picked them up they were in good moods and didn't seem fazed in the least. They told me about their new friend Caroline and even pointed her out walking across the street. They explained how recess works, where they go to play, where they eat lunch and how fast it went by and with some prodding told me about their class room. They did say the teacher talked a lot and they couldn't understand her, but they also got to play a game where they practiced colors and said they did well. They also brought home some pictures they colored and told me the teacher said they did a good job. I asked if the teacher said good job in English and Lucy told me she said it in Spanish. It amazed me that already they were picking things up in Spanish and then translating them back to English to tell to me. Guess this won't be as overwhelming for them as it would be for me.
I'm interested to see how the rest of the year goes. They are still excited about school even if they don't understand everything and at least they don't seem to be completely confused.
They seemed a bit overwhelmed initially since there were so many kids and its a pretty big school we had to walk through to get to the kinder area. I could tell they were growing anxious waiting for the teacher to open the room and let them in for the day, especially Olivia. Once inside, they were able to choose whichever seat they wanted and the girls chose seats right in the front next to each other. They looked so little with their backpacks hanging behind their chairs at the table. As the teacher gave a brief introduction and some instructions to parents the girls sat and listened quietly. It was entirely in Spanish. Luckily, I can still pick up most of what she was saying and got the gist of it. I gave the girls a kiss and left. I'm so glad they have each other to go on this new adventure. I can't imagine what was going through their minds as they sat in a class full of kids they don't know, with a teach who was speaking entirely in a language they can't understand.
When I picked them up they were in good moods and didn't seem fazed in the least. They told me about their new friend Caroline and even pointed her out walking across the street. They explained how recess works, where they go to play, where they eat lunch and how fast it went by and with some prodding told me about their class room. They did say the teacher talked a lot and they couldn't understand her, but they also got to play a game where they practiced colors and said they did well. They also brought home some pictures they colored and told me the teacher said they did a good job. I asked if the teacher said good job in English and Lucy told me she said it in Spanish. It amazed me that already they were picking things up in Spanish and then translating them back to English to tell to me. Guess this won't be as overwhelming for them as it would be for me.
I'm interested to see how the rest of the year goes. They are still excited about school even if they don't understand everything and at least they don't seem to be completely confused.
Comments
Post a Comment