Skip to main content

Adjusting

There's been a whole new morning and evening routine now that the girls are in school. It was a bit hectic at first as we tried to balance everything and figure out how to fit it all in but we're getting there. The morning's are pretty easy now. We lay clothes out the night before, get backpacks and lunches ready and the girls know everything they have to do as soon as they get up. Andrew's been sleeping in a bit longer which helps us have time to get all ready before we go get him up and ready for the day. Kevin takes Andrew on his way to work and I take the girls which also helps break things up a bit.

My parents take and pick the girls up from school. Olivia's having an easier time adjusting to school than Lucy is. They both like school but Lucy is having some separation anxiety in the mornings. She cried at drop-off the first few days and wants my mom to stay at the gate with her until the bell rings and then walk her to class. She doesn't want to go play with Olivia and the other kids until school starts. We've talked to her about the mornings and she says she's going to miss us/Grandma and starts to cry. I think it's just still a bit overwhelming to be gone from us for most of the day. Poor little Lucy. I took them to school on Monday and Lucy cried then too. It was so sad. We started doing the kissing hand, from The Kissing Hand book and she says that helps. I kiss one hand when I drop them off in the morning and my mom kisses the other hand when she takes them to school. Yesterday I asked Lucy if that helped and she said it did and she had to use it once with both hands. So sweet. She's definitely my sensitive one. Olivia on the other hand just waves goodbye and goes to play and waves every once in awhile but otherwise is content to run, play and swing until the bell rings.

The evenings are tougher. There's so much to squeeze in to such a short amount of time. After picking everyone up it's usually 5 or a little after when we get home. We now jump right into homework, since it's easier to get it out of the way than to pull them away from something else later. Then it's dinner, maybe a few minutes of playtime (depending on how long it took them to eat dinner), baths, stories and bed. It goes fast! Then as soon as they're in bed it's back to making lunches and getting ready for the next day.

I can't leave out Andrew. He has a new routine too. Kevin drops him off with our friend Michele on his way to work. Michele and her sister-in-law Betty watch Andrew, their 1 year old nephew William and Michele's 3 year old, Olivia, during the day. Andrew has a great time with his new buddies and playing with their animals. He's adjusted well and is such a happy little guy when I get there to pick him up in the afternoon. Thank goodness he's so easy-going and loving that he makes the transition so easy. Michele & Betty already adore him.

We're still working out the kinks in this whole new routine, but for now, I think it's finally becoming somewhat normal, which we really needed.

Comments