Skip to main content

The Worst Weekend

So Kevin went to Arizona to do pre-Super Bowl stuff with his sister and brother-in-law at the end of January. It was me and the kids and I was tossing around some fun things for us to do for the weekend on our own. None of that panned out since it turned into pretty much an awful weekend that I tried to salvage whenever possible.

As we got ready on that Friday morning, Olivia clearly was not feeling well. It did not bode well for the weekend. We all said farewell to Kevin and went about our way for the day. Half way through the day I got a call from school that Olivia was sick and needed to be picked up. I got her back to my mom's and settled and came back to work for a few hours. By the time I picked up the kids later, Lucy wasn't feeling that well either. We headed home and had a low key evening watching a movie and going to bed early (thank goodness!). The night went alright so I was feeling good about things on Saturday. I was hoping Olivia not feeling well was going to be the worst thing of the weekend. Wrong. We had a relaxing morning and then headed to the girls' ballet class. We got home to find water flooding the hallway by the bedrooms. I opened the cupboard to discover our water heater was leaking all over the cupboards and out into the hallway. I put all the kids down for naps, mostly to keep them out of the way, and mopped up as much of the water as I could. I tried googling for answers to this dilemma but since my water heater was clearly 25+ years old, I figured this wasn't going to be a quick fix and it was now 3pm on a Saturday. Probably prime time for a plumber.

I finally got a hold of a plumber who told me how to drain it and that he wouldn't be able to get me a replacement until Monday (great). I took the kids to grab a quick dinner and came home to eat. During dinner, I noticed Lucy's suuuper wiggly front bottom tooth was missing. Had I thought it would wreak such havoc I wouldn't have said anything at the moment. But, in my excitement, I pointed it out to her. She was excited for a millisecond before she realized it was in fact gone but she didn't know where it was. In her mind, the Tooth Fairy wasn't going to come since she didn't have the tooth. She bawled and was so upset. There was nothing I could say to convince her that the Tooth Fairy still comes. I'm fairly certain she lost the tooth at lunch or maybe even earlier in her dinner and probably swallowed it. We finally called Kevin in hopes that he could talk some sense into her and explain that the Tooth Fairy would still come, especially for her first tooth. Ay yi yi. She did eventually calm down and get excited again.

My parents came over to help wrangle the kids and the water heater only to discover that the quick and easy water heater draining wasn't as quick and easy as the plumber made it sound. Handles broke, pipes were corroded shut etc. The only thing we could do to stop the water was shut off the water to the whole house. 8:30pm on a Saturday. Great. So, I packed up all the kids and took them to my parents' house. The girls were fairly easy to get to bed but Andrew was not having it. He ended up fitfully sleeping on my chest in the recliner. Then I heard Lucy crying. Her ear hurt. Great- 2am, ear infection, no meds. I gave her a heading pad and hoped that would ease the pain until the morning. Then Olivia got up 30 mins later. Then after she got back to sleep Lucy was crying again. 3am- she checked for the Tooth Fairy (who had thankfully followed us to Grandma's) and ended up dropping everything on the ground and was upset about it. That woke Andrew up. It.was.awful. I think I only slept like 2 hours in 30 mins spurts total all night.

In the morning, it was apparent that everyone was sick and I didn't want to spread the germs anymore than I already had so I packed everyone up and headed back home. We made the most of it by playing outside, turning the water to the house back on as needed, and trying to get through the day without too many meltdowns by the sick kiddos or myself. Kevin ended up coming home early on Sunday night and was able to at least get the leak to stop so we could turn the house water back on (only cold water though). We all went to bed early that night but I could already tell that I too was getting sick.

Kevin spent all day Monday waiting for the plumber. He finally showed up while we were sitting down to eat dinner. He got us all set with a replacement water heater right before bed. Thank goodness for hot showers. We ended up spending the whole next week sick between the girls, Andrew and me (luckily Kevin didn't really get it). Hopefully this means next time Kevin goes out of town will be calm, easy and uneventful.

Comments