We've known for awhile that the girls have tiny mouths and they would definitely need to see the orthodonti$t at some point. I got them in this week just for a consultation to see when they would need to get started, what all would be required and mostly how much it would cost. It's never a good sign when the orthodonti$t walks in, takes one look in your kid's mouth, glances at the x-rays and says, "Holy Moley!" I equate that statement with $$$.
Besides the tiny mouth problem, the x rays revealed they both have impacted adult molars due to the lack of space. Basically he said he sees this about 10x a year and I'm really lucky we came in early so that we could get this problem corrected now instead of when they're 8, 9 or 10 and would require surgery to essentially dig out the stuck molars. Yikes!
The treatment plan is to get their baby molars that are in the way extracted in a few weeks giving the impacted adult molars space to come in on their own. He said this will correct itself in 6-8 months. When we go back in 6 months the girls will start with expanders and then the first round of braces. Yes, first. The first round should be roughly a year and then they'll come off, they'll get a retainer, they'll lose the rest of their baby teeth and then, around the same time all the other kids are getting braces, they'll get their second round. Having gone through 2 rounds of braces myself (yes they inherited the small mouth from me), I feel their pain.
The girls thought the appointment was great! They loved the video games in the lobby, cookies on the way out, the super friendly orthodonti$t and all the oohing and ahhing the office staff were doing over them. They were checking out the mouth samples of the different types of braces and getting excited about what color bands they were going to get for all the holidays. They were so excited! I didn't want to burst their bubble but oh the tears, pain and brushing battles they are in for. I'm just going to say, I really hope one of them grows up to be an orthodonti$t because they seem to be making so much $! And x2! Can I just get braces on the top for one of them and the bottom for the other and then they switch? They share everything else! (Side note: multiples/siblings discounts are not nearly high enough at most places in my opinion)
So yeah, that's where we're at with that. They go see their regular dentist (who they LOVE) next month for Lucy's 1 molar and Olivia's 2 molar extractions. They know this has to happen and are completely aware of the problem. I haven't explained it all to them yet so they don't worry about it for the next couple of weeks.
How are they already old enough to be moving on to extractions and braces?!? I'm in shock. Didn't they just get those baby teeth and we're already pulling them out??? Growing up is harder on me than them I think.
Besides the tiny mouth problem, the x rays revealed they both have impacted adult molars due to the lack of space. Basically he said he sees this about 10x a year and I'm really lucky we came in early so that we could get this problem corrected now instead of when they're 8, 9 or 10 and would require surgery to essentially dig out the stuck molars. Yikes!
The treatment plan is to get their baby molars that are in the way extracted in a few weeks giving the impacted adult molars space to come in on their own. He said this will correct itself in 6-8 months. When we go back in 6 months the girls will start with expanders and then the first round of braces. Yes, first. The first round should be roughly a year and then they'll come off, they'll get a retainer, they'll lose the rest of their baby teeth and then, around the same time all the other kids are getting braces, they'll get their second round. Having gone through 2 rounds of braces myself (yes they inherited the small mouth from me), I feel their pain.
The girls thought the appointment was great! They loved the video games in the lobby, cookies on the way out, the super friendly orthodonti$t and all the oohing and ahhing the office staff were doing over them. They were checking out the mouth samples of the different types of braces and getting excited about what color bands they were going to get for all the holidays. They were so excited! I didn't want to burst their bubble but oh the tears, pain and brushing battles they are in for. I'm just going to say, I really hope one of them grows up to be an orthodonti$t because they seem to be making so much $! And x2! Can I just get braces on the top for one of them and the bottom for the other and then they switch? They share everything else! (Side note: multiples/siblings discounts are not nearly high enough at most places in my opinion)
So yeah, that's where we're at with that. They go see their regular dentist (who they LOVE) next month for Lucy's 1 molar and Olivia's 2 molar extractions. They know this has to happen and are completely aware of the problem. I haven't explained it all to them yet so they don't worry about it for the next couple of weeks.
How are they already old enough to be moving on to extractions and braces?!? I'm in shock. Didn't they just get those baby teeth and we're already pulling them out??? Growing up is harder on me than them I think.
Comments
Post a Comment