I have decided to teach the girls how to cook. They've always loved helping here and there but I thought it was time to give them more of the responsibility of the whole thing. Plus, it frees up two nights a week that I don't have to entirely plan, cook and clean-up the meal.
The girls were super excited from the moment I mentioned it and told them how it would work. Tuesdays and Thursdays are the designated nights and Olivia takes Tuesdays and Lucy handles Thursdays. The rules are that they have to plan an entrée and 2 sides (one of which must be a vegetable), do or help with as much of it as possible and do the dishes afterwards. They also can't make the same thing week after week. I obviously am still very involved in this as they learn to use the oven, stove and knives but eventually I know they will be able to do it all on their own, which is very exciting for them and us!
So far so good! We've had turkey tacos, spaghetti, fettucini alfredo, homemade pizza and pancakes. Nothing fancy but simple starts so they find it enjoyable, will eat what they made and are proud of what they accomplish. I'm also secretly enjoying not having to plan two dinners a week. Hopefully they stay as into it and branch out into more adventurous recipes down the road.
The girls were super excited from the moment I mentioned it and told them how it would work. Tuesdays and Thursdays are the designated nights and Olivia takes Tuesdays and Lucy handles Thursdays. The rules are that they have to plan an entrée and 2 sides (one of which must be a vegetable), do or help with as much of it as possible and do the dishes afterwards. They also can't make the same thing week after week. I obviously am still very involved in this as they learn to use the oven, stove and knives but eventually I know they will be able to do it all on their own, which is very exciting for them and us!
So far so good! We've had turkey tacos, spaghetti, fettucini alfredo, homemade pizza and pancakes. Nothing fancy but simple starts so they find it enjoyable, will eat what they made and are proud of what they accomplish. I'm also secretly enjoying not having to plan two dinners a week. Hopefully they stay as into it and branch out into more adventurous recipes down the road.
Comments
Post a Comment