Skip to main content

Andrew the Brave

Well I can't say I was surprised. I think part of me was shocked it took 3.5 years before Andrew needed stitches.

A few weeks ago, Kevin and the girls were at ballet and Andrew and I were home. He was in the bathtub and just finishing up when he decided to stand up and try to plop down and make a big splash. When he did it he looked down at the same time and hit the bottom of his chin right on the edge of the bathtub. He screamed and cried immediately and I tried to get him to calm down while I checked the inside of his mouth certain he had hurt his teeth or tongue. Nothing. No blood but he kept crying. Then all of a sudden he turned his head and I saw the gash in his chin and the blood came gushing out at an alarming rate. I got him all cleaned up and calmed down and into his pajamas before it finally stopped bleeding.

After some frantic calling/texting pictures to both Kevin and my ER nurse sister-in-law, Katie, they confirmed he would need stitches to close it up and help reduce the scarring. So Andrew and I headed to urgent care where we waited and waited. Luckily the bleeding had stopped and Andrew was his usual self. He was talking to everyone in the waiting room, asking all sorts of questions and making friends. They finally called us back to a room where Andrew asked the nurse, "Why are you here?" and then engaged him in a conversation about all the equipment and instruments in the room and how they work. Andrew explained the whole fall, cut on his chin and that he was here "to get his face sewn up" (I didn't sugar coat why we were going to the Dr). The  nurse kept asking me how old he is since he was shocked at his vocabulary. When the nurse left the room he said "you're so cute!" to Andrew, which apparently made an impact.

The pediatrician came in next and he had the same convo with Andrew about what happened and what was going to happen. After looking at the cut he decided he didn't feel comfortable doing the stitching and preferred the urgent care Dr to do it which meant more waiting. When the Dr left the room and said bye Andrew yelled, "Bye! You're so cute!" I was cracking up! This kid is a character!

Finally we were moved to the procedure room where we had to talk about a whole bunch of new equipment he had never seen before and was quite insistent on knowing about. The Dr came in and after looking at the cut and how young Andrew is he explained they usually send kids this young to the ER for stitched so they can get a sedative to calm them down. He left it up to me to let him try but if Andrew was freaking out he wouldn't be able to get good stitches in. Not really wanting to make a trip to the ER at 8:45pm and knowing how good of a kid Andrew is I said let's give it a shot. I am so glad we tried!!

The Dr left and came back with 3 nurses to help hold Andrew down. We got him on the table and semi swaddled and after I explained to him that he had to hold still and not move his arms he was totally still. One nurse held his face in the right position and I put my hand on his chest and that was it. The Dr and the nurse were stunned. The other 2 nurses left after a few mins. He laid there for the numbing shots and just kept saying questioningly, "I think it hurts?" but never flinching or crying. He was so good and so brave! They asked him all sorts of questions while they did the stitching which were hysterical to listen to.

Nurse: "Do you have any brothers or sisters?"
Andrew: "Yes, 2 sisters"
N: "Are they older than you?"
A: "Bigger"
N: "How old are they?"
A: "I don't know. One's big and one's bigger."

Me: "Now you'll look like daddy with a matching scar on his chin"
Doctor: "Did your daddy hurt his chin too?"
Andrew: "Yes when he was little"
Doctor: "How old is he now?"
Andrew: "I don't know. My daddy is 70!"

The Dr did all three stitches super fast without a single problem. It was amazing and the Dr said Andrew was better than most adults he stitches up. All Andrew cared about when it was done was that he got a lollipop.



5 days later we went back to the Dr where they pulled out his stitches with even less trouble than putting them in. This kid's pain tolerance must be ridiculously high. He never touched them, complained about them or anything. Such a good, brave little patient.

Comments